Next Day's Games

Final

Germany 1-0 (ET) Argentina (Gotze 113')

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Knockout Round Predictions

EDIT: Revised Predictions made after Group Stage are here and FAR MORE ACCURATE.

Now that all of the groups are previewed, I'm giving my rough opinion on how the knockout round goes. This is assuming all of my picks are right and I will revisit this after the group stages are over to revise/brag.

Without further ado:


Yep, I like Germany to pick up their 4th title and become the first European team to win in the Americas.

Other Thoughts:

The top and bottom of the Round of 16 games were very difficult to pick and either match could go either way. I tabbed Brazil over Netherlands due to home field advantage but I think they'll have problems with that Dutch defence. Portugal the higher rated of the two at the bottom but too reliant on Ronaldo. Belgium can spread their attack out and overwhelm the Portuguese.

Spain/Mexico and Germany/Russia provide more intrigue. Spain and Mexico similar styles of play and both will have rabid fans in Brazil. Germany/Russia has all sorts of history between it off the field and neither country like each other in the least.

Don't really consider picking Italy (or Uruguay or England) over Colombia an upset. Bosnia over France the true upset. I like the Bosnian front against France enough for them to get in to the quarterfinals in their first appearance.

Looking at the quarterfinals, I think both Germany and Brazil have easier draws in the quarterfinals then in the prior round. Win their group and escape the round of 16 and I think you can lock them in to a semifinal showdown. Bottom 2 games a bit tougher to predict. Both Uruguay and Spain dealing with injuries. Think Spain's team defence gets them past Uruguay though. Argentina/Belgium probably the most intriguing match of that round. Might be just to big a task to ask of a very young Belgium team to escape Argentina.

Took Argentina over Spain in their semifinal. I think the clock's run out on this run of success for La Roja. Age has to catch up to them at some point an Argentina poised to be the team to make it happen.

The other semifinal was close, and I think if things do shape up this way that whoever wins that game will win the World Cup, regardless of opponent. I like Germany's ability to match physicality with Brazil and bog the game down in the midfield. Lahm has the ability to close Neymar down and Brazil may have difficulty with the German midfield's movement.

____________________________________________________

Games start tomorrow. I'll have the Game 1 Preview up around midday tomorrow and lineups once they're announced. With games occurring anywhere from Noon to 9 p.m. EDT, I'll make an attempt to have all game previews up by noon if people want to peruse them between games. Need the intervening time to write recaps so unless I'm behind, previews will be ready by noon each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment